The KwaZulu-Natal Education Department says it’s established that the brutal attack on a pupil happened last November but the school failed to properly deal with the issue at the time.
In a video of the incident currently circulating on social media, a schoolboy can be seen pinning the girl against a wall before tripping her and then kicking her in the head and back several times.
Provincial education officials visited the Siyathuthuka School in Inanda on Friday.
KZN Education’s Muzi Mahlambi says the school did not investigate the matter properly last year and the department has now launched its own probe.
“Based on the findings of our investigation, we will then take appropriate and relevant action that needs to be taken. Obviously, with the perpetrator … he needs to be disciplined.”
Relatives of the victim, who was in grade 10 at the time of the incident, say they’re disappointed in police whom they claim failed to take action against the boy.
The family says this forced them to move the girl to another school.
The perpetrator has also changed schools since the incident but his whereabouts still need to be confirmed by the department.
Mahlambi says the person who took the video will be key in tracking down the boy.
“The one who’s laughing still goes to that school but when we went to his class, he jumped out of the window. That’s the boy we’re going to use to lead us to the other perpetrators.
The provincial Education Department says it will begin a new investigation on Monday.